Carpet Water Damage
If you are a victim of a major water leakage or flooding from a man-made or natural disaster, the first response is often to panic at the extent of the damage. All water leakage and flooding cause water damage, which is divided into three types.
- Sanitary flooding / Clean water
- Unsanitary flooding / Unclean and contaminated water
- Black water flooding / Raw sewage water
How To Fix Carpet After Water Damage
- First you have to see where the water is leaking from; this can help determine whether or not your carpet can be saved.
- Then take an action either to stop the water leaking or if you are not able to do it on your own, contact a plumber to prevent any more damage.
- Scrub and clean the wet area using bleach mixed in a gallon of water. Be very careful while you are doing this and ventilate the room well as there may be toxic fumes.
- Take all carpets outside and place in the sun to dry. The longer they stay wet, the more likely it is that permanent damage will result. Professional carpet cleaning may be required to remove mud and silt.
- You can set a fan to blow directly towards the affected area. Keep it on high speed for 36 hours minimum and make sure to take out all the electric cords from the wet area. You may also need help from a Carpet cleaning contractor if you are working on your own, a Dehumidifier can make the area faster to dry
Unsanitary and Black Water Flooding
This process of dealing with flood water damage generally requires professional help. However, the drying up of the flooring can be done without any assistance. But the issue is more complicated if the floor is carpeted. Carpet not only makes it difficult to deal with the flood water damage but also makes it complicated to judge the extent of the damage. In addition, it becomes a hassle to remove and refit new carpets. Your best hope is to hire a professional carpet cleaning service. Needless to highlight, flood water damage tends to render the carpet useless since carpets can become mouldy and give off an odour that can only be removed if the carpet is removed altogether.